Aug 30, 2012

First draft not far off... a Labor Day holiday post


Work in progress:
Working Title: The Arrows of Artemis
Word Count: a little under 57,000 words

It's looking like the first draft is going to end up at around 70,000 words. As you can see from that count, that's a bit over 13,000 words to go, which really isn't that much. As it happens we have family (son #1) coming up from Texas--today--so I've taken a few extra days off for the Labor Day weekend. I won't be going into the office until next Wednesday. So, assuming that I get at least a couple of hours a day for writing, I have a good chance of getting said first draft completed before I have to go back to work. Please keep fingers crossed for me, gentle reader.

We received our print copy of Craig Hallam's Greaveburn last Friday and I finished it on Sunday. I couldn't put it down (voluntarily; there were times when I had to for other reasons, but if not for those I would probably have finished it on Saturday morning). Excellent book, highly recommended. Find it on Amazon and B&N.

Pavonis has at last shown up on Sony's catalog, and has at last shipped to Apple, so it should be in the iBook store soon (I'm told it can take a couple of weeks). Still waiting for Kobo to list it; no idea what's taking them so long. The handful of reviews it's had so far have been very good, which is encouraging, and I've had some useful feedback from readers about mistakes and such (the hazard of being your own reviewer/proofreader). (Oh, and by the way I'd like to state here and now that I am NOT a John Locke. My reviews are genuine.) I might put out an updated edition with corrections, and I'm considering a sequel since the feedback I'm getting suggests that my readers think it's a good idea. Honestly, it'll depend on sales; not much point spending months writing a sequel to a book that sold very few copies.

On the Twitter front: my follower list is expanding; more than half my followers are writers now. I try to follow back writers but I can't always--not to be rude but some people tweet so often that my timeline gets flooded, and I don't see the point of following people if I don't get time to read their tweets. (I'm following about 97 people, I think, and I'm already getting overwhelmed with tweets to the point where I'm seriously thinking I'll have to trim that down a bit. I don't know how people manage when they're following a few hundred--or, as in the case of one that follows me, forty thousand.)

And now I'd better cut this short; son #1 could be arriving in as little as thirty minutes and I have some tidy-up to do, so I'd better hop to it. Next week, same time, same channel...

No comments:

Post a Comment