Nov 28, 2012

A Quick Update...


Not much time for more than just a quick post at the moment. Sharp-eyed readers will have noticed that there wasn't a post at all last week. My excuse: Thanksgiving and all that. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

So, real quick, here's where things stand on the writing front:

Pavonis: Sales are dead as a doornail. All down to bad marketing on my part, sorry to say. Bad choice of title; bad back-cover blurb; bad cover artwork; inadequate marketing efforts; [check] all of the above. People who've read it seem to like it, but it's going nowhere. I'm not too worried about it.

The Artemisia Chronicle: This is the gothic/sci-fi 'script I finished in September. Still waiting to hear from Harper Voyager, which isn't likely to happen until sometime in January. Watch this space.

Mr. Gunn and Dr. Bohemia: This is the steampunk action/adventure that I was working on until recently. I finished editing the first draft last week, and it's sitting in the pile waiting while I decide what to do with it - and that depends on how things go with Harper Voyager (see previous paragraph). If they like Artemisia (and/or Pavonis, since I submitted that too), I'll see if they'll look at Gunn & Bohemia. If not, I have a growing list of publishers to try.

Smoke and Mirrors: That's the working title of a steampunk/sci-fi project I've been working on. Right now I'm building the storylines and I'm probably about a third of the way through that part. It's coming along nicely. I'm hoping to be ready to begin storyboarding before Christmas, but I'm not rushing it. I bought Scrivener (now that there's a Windows version) and I'm using that for this work. Really nice, I have to say.

I've decided not to self-publish any more books, at least until the whole self-publishing landscape settles down a bit (and possibly not even then); thanks to people like Author Solutions (Click here for details) and Amazon (who seem to be treating self-pubs with contempt) the whole plane is a minefield, and I'm not interested in going that way. Things have really got to change; if and when that ever happens I might consider it, but that time is a long way off, I think.

Until next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment